How to Get Ungated on Amazon
Being a new Amazon Seller, Ungating and Gating on Amazon has to be one of the first things that you should know about. Now, let’s figure out everything we need to understand about being Ungated and Gated on Amazon.
What is being Ungated or Gated on Amazon?
Being Gated means a particular product, brand or category has restricted newer sellers from selling it on the platform. It is to prevent unauthorized sellers from selling knock-off versions of products.
Five different Types of Gating on Amazon
- Gated Asin’s Gated ASIN are specific to that ASIN only. You can be allowed to sell the category and brand, but not that particular ASIN.
- Gated Brands This is where you can sell in a category i.e. Groceries, but not that brand i.e. Kraft Heinz.
- Gated Categories An example of a gated category would be Automotive. This locks the entire category including all the brands and ASINs under it.
- Gated Subcategories Example is you can sell Baby products but not Baby Feeding subcategory.
- Being gated because Amazon’s not taking applications at the certain time This is when Amazon doesn’t allow you to ungate a brand or category that they have restricted for any new applications.
Three main ways to get Ungated on Amazon
- Paying to Ungate – you will need to pay the required fee to a company to ungate a category or brand.
Note: Research the company in which you’re going to invest and make sure that they’re legitimate. Many of these services produce fake invoices and may cause account deactivation. Proceed with caution.
- Auto Ungate – upon clicking the request approval, Amazon wouldn’t prompt you to provide required documents instead, there will be automatic approval to sell the product, brand, or category however, there is an undetermined time frame on how long it is going to be ungated. The longer you’ve been selling, the more likely this is to happen. This is the best type of ungating because it’s free.
- Ungate Yourself – you will need to provide the document Amazon is asking for in order to be approved to sell the product, brand, or category.
How to Apply and get Ungated on Amazon?
- You will be needing an invoice from the manufacturer or a distributor
- You will also need to buy a combined purchase of 10 units of the specific thing that you want to be ungated
- Provide the invoice for brand ungating. Category ungating requires the invoice and images of the product being used to ungate the category.
Note: The invoice is the document that you will be using and submitting on your application to be Ungated on Amazon.
The invoice should include the following:
- Dated on or after the specific day you are applying. (Within 180 days)
- Includes your name and address, matching the information in your selling account
- Include the name and address of the manufacturer or distributor
- Show combined purchase of at least 10 units
- Omit Pricing information (optional)
- Please note that Amazon may verify your submitted documentation by contacting product vendors you identify in your application
Extra Tips to prevent getting your applications denied on Ungating on Amazon
- Invoice isn’t in editable format – convert your file into a PDF file or scan the invoice and submit it to Amazon.
- Make sure it is a finalized invoice – make sure the invoice shows that the goods are already paid for. No Proforma or Sales Order quotes.
- Match address of ship to and bill to – make sure that ship to and bill to matches the details on your Amazon account.
- Include the sales representative’s name and contact information – so that Amazon may have the option to contact the Sales Representative if they have any queries about the invoice or the products.